My favorite gambling films
In no particular order (well except for one).
- •The Gambler (1974)Check out the James Caan original, the man can act.
- •Rounders (1998)Hands down the best poker movie ever made. I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit.
- •The Hustler (1961)It's Paul Newman people.
- •Hard Eight (1996)Early Paul Thomas Anderson staring Phillip Baker Hall, the definition of "indie film".
- •The Cincinnati Kid (1965)Until Rounders, it was the most accurate portrait of a poker player.
- •The Cooler (2003)Old Vegas is threatened by the family friendly casinos of the strip. William H Macy, Maria Bello, and Alec Baldwin do not disappoint.
- •Bob La Flambeur (1956)Borderline gangster film, but a great example noir and early French new-wave.
- •Owning Mahoney (2003)This is easily my favorite. Based on a true story, Phillip Seymour Hoffman portrays a Toronto bank manager that can't control his addiction. Its raw, it's real, it's not pretty.