BEST THINGS TO SEE ON ISLE OF SKYE (NORTH END)
After visiting the north end of the Isle of Skye quite a lot to visit family, here is my list of the best things to see! (All photos taken by me)
- •QuiraingOther worldly views of fantastical landscapes, look out for the table, needle & prison. You might recognise it from many films & tv including Macbeth & the upcoming BFG
- •Old man of storrIs it a rock? No, its the Old Man of Storr! Climb up to it for great views over to Raasay & the mainland, just magical!
- •Fairy GlenWill you spot a fairy? Perhaps but only if you believe! You'll definitely see where they live though with small hillocks, lots of hiding places & a lake, what more could a fairy want?
- •Ferry to the Outer HebridesTake the ferry to the outer isles for empty sandy beaches, stone circles, brochs, amazing landscapes & people
- •Rha waterfall, UigGo after heavy rainfall to see this tucked away gem of a waterfall in full flow & you won't be dissapointed
- •Kilmuir CemeteryIn a beautiful yet bleak setting, looking out across the Minch see Flora McDonalds Monument and lots of other interesting graves & their stories; from boulders & soldiers to unfinished carvings and the fashion designer Steve McQueen
- •Rubha HunishWalk past the abandoned village of Erisco towards the coastguard hut which is now a bothy, then scramble down onto the headland to spot whales, seals and seabirds nesting on the cliffs & stacks of this northernmost tip of the Isle of Skye
- •Kilt rockGrab an astonishing view of Skyes amazing geological layers at Kilt rock and marvel at the waterfall plunging into the sea below
- •Ellishadder cafeHave a yummy lunch here, don't forget to try the scottish crowdie cheese, its scrumptious!
- •StaffinSpot dinosaur footprints on the beach & walk over to the Columba cafe & residential centre
- •Glenn HinnisdalGo up from the road, through the newly planted forest to find eagles if you're lucky or meander down by the river to the sea
- •PortreeSee the cute multicoloured houses in the harbour -where you can eat fish & chips if the seagulls don't get them first! Stock up on supplies, visit the Skyeworks gallery for local handmade crafts & in August don't miss the Highland Games!
- •Dunvegan castle & woodsSeat of the MacLeod clan, full of history & beautiful gardens. Don't miss the seal trip! Also do the woodland walk from the new church to the old church ruin- go in autumn to see vast displays of amazing mushrooms & funghi!
- •Coral beach & sealsSee the seals swimming, playing & sun or probably cloud bathing in Loch Dunvegan on the way to beautiful beaches made from tiny pieces of coral.
- •Neist pointSpot whales & seals from this lighthouse perched on an outcrop of rock with waves crashing just beneath you. You can even stay in the lighthouse!
- •RaasayIf you've got time don't miss the small island of Raasay where you can climb an extinct volcano, Dun Caan or why not walk Calum's handmade road!