Fave books read in 2016
Some of my best reads of 2016 including doomed love, holocaust deaths & survival, poetry, classics, friendship in Naples, lots of Peirene Press & feminism.
- •Ariel by Sylvia PlathChallenging, powerful & beautiful heartbreak
- •Stone in a Landslide by Maria BarbalA lifetime of Spanish provincial life & civil war.
- •Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna KrallRunning away from Nazis, trying to get to your husband, while being placed into camps, prison, forced labour. This try story shows what strength and determination can be found in the bleakest & most horrific circumstances.
- •The Looking Glass Sisters by Gohril GabrielsenLove, love, loved this story of two sisters isolated in Norway, one looking after the other who is bedridden & then a man comes into their lives...
- •Wuthering Heights by Emily BronteSlow start but once you get into it this is amazing, love the wild moors and the crazy love between Heathcliff & Cathy, epic.
- •Jane Eyre by Charlotte BronteGreat read (but I preferred wuthering heights), I walked up to North Lees Hall, Hathersage which is said to be the inspiration for Thornfield Hall, Mr Rochester's House
- •Neopolitan series by Elena FerranteI've only read the first two and they're amazing, so don't want to rush through them all & not have any left to read!
- •We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie...as we are all human, we should all be feminists.
- •Northanger Abbey by Jane AustenNever thought I'd get into Austen but this is my fourth of hers and loved it, she doesn't get enough credit for being really funny too!
- •Sophie Scholl by Frank McDonoughStill thinking about Sophie & what happened to her; all for fighting for what was right through dropping some leaflets.