AN OPEN LETTER TO BLACK CHICAGO ON OUR LOVE AFFAIR WITH R. KELLY
- •Yes, R. Kelly is a musical genius.12 Play, Chocolate Factory, all of that - it's classic. I also cried when he let balloon doves fly at Pitchfork a couple years ago. Smh.
- •Yes, it's impossible not to grab the nearest person and step when 'Happy People' comes on.I get it, I really do.
- •But it's not okay to ignore the young black women and girls he's harmed.We all know the stories. These are our sisters, our nieces, our aunts, our daughters, our friends - we must not ignore their trauma.
- •Saying it was long ago is harmful.The latest allegations against R. Kelly were well after the 90s. Do your research.
- •Saying other black entertainers were abusers but we didn't bother them is harmful.Black girls and women matter. And everyone - entertainers, politicians, plumbers - should be punished for their crimes against us.
- •Saying it has nothing to do with the music is harmful.Supporting him monetarily and promoting the idea of him as a benevolent Uncle type ignores the lives he's ruined.
- •It's time to turn the music down and talk about R. Kelly's actions.'Cause that Boondocks episode was really fucking real. And that's sad.