EMBRACE YOUR BAD FEMINIST
Words of wisdom from a discussion with Roxane Gay at UCLA last night. (Also in attendance: woke bae Matt McGorry. Bc OBVIOUSLY.)
- •On resistance to the label of feminism in middle America: "Feminism is like porn; keep it to yourself."(Or would be like porn except...not everyone does it.)
- •On the idea that things are changing bc there are one or two diverse shows on television: "I don't think it's getting better...We cannot be satisfied with getting our foot in the door. We have to break down the door."
- •On how to succeed as a writer: "If you want to know how to make it, move to the middle of nowhere, where all hope is lost and there's nothing to do but write."
- •About Hilary: "She has to be exceptional AND perfect?...I like Hilary Clinton, and I'm not compromising anything by choosing to vote for her."
- •About Trump: "He's trash. He's not even trash. He's something worse than trash because trash was once useful."
- •On voting: "The most feminist thing you can do is show up."
- •About why more WOC don't identify as feminists: "Sometimes you need to be invited to the table. We need more outreach in feminist circles. That kind of outreach requires boots on the ground."
- •In reply to the question "What can we do?": "Stop asking for permission."
- •On taking a picture with me: "Oh, okay."Jk she was incredibly gracious and kind.
- •Embrace your bad feminist, everyone!