NANNY DIARIES: CONFRONTING TOUGH ISSUES
Sometimes my job is very easy and fun, and I spend my days eating Nutella with children and playing basketball. Other times this kind of thing happens.
- •This afternoon, one of the boys that I watch brought over a paper fortune teller he made and wanted to tell me my fortune.I live for these. I used to make them all the time as a kid.
- •He wrote both good and bad fortunes inside, and he informed that I was lucky to get what I got."You will do whatever you want."
- •Then he opened it up to show me how bad the others were.
- •This was written inside.The other bad fortune was "You will die yung [sic]."
- •Doesn't it just break your heart to see casual homophobia reflected in the handwriting of an innocent little kid?
- •These aren't mean children. They're not bullies. They're not intentionally hurtful. And they don't have bigoted parents.
- •But for whatever reason they've already absorbed the idea that being gay makes you inferior. That it's a fate as terrible as death.
- •So today I get to sit down with two little children and look prejudice in the eye.
- •Sometimes this job is hard.