THE BEST FEMALE GAZE-Y TV SHOWS
If your show doesn't feature a well-muscled man rising naked from the water, keep trying. 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽 This list is a living document, suggestions welcome 😉
- •OutlanderPeriod pieces have been killing it as far as the female gaze goes, and Outlander is the crown gem of them all. Not only is it literally told from a woman's perspective (albeit with a bit of heavy-handed voiceover), but the leading man, played by human aphrodisiac Sam Heughan, is an A+ romantic hero. He's a considerate lover, a kind-hearted warrior, and a virgin with a body cut like a diamond - lucky bc circumstances often necessitate that he be partially to fully nude. 10/10 dat body don't quit.
- •The Last KingdomThe new kid on the block, this show is like Game of Thrones minus the dragons and horrific misogyny. Despite being set in the hideously violent and patriarchal world of Anglo-Saxons & Danish Vikings, the show honors its main female character, a badass lady warrior (Emily Cox), giving her agency and depth, while making its leading man, the ethereally pretty Alexander Dreymon, bathe 1000% more often than anyone realistically would in this period. His butt 👌🏽 his chest 💯 his back 😻. Trust.
- •PoldarkIf you like brooding 18th century British bad boys, Poldark is your poison. He's a little gruff, he's a little hairy, and he's often out in the fields shirtless, working alongside his tenants bc oh yeah, he's also a populist with progressive social attitudes. The three dazzling women characters in this show bring it to life, and they never succumb to petty jealousies or backbiting over men even though the men constantly try to push them to it.
- •Teen WolfHear me out. I know, Teen Wolf is a visceral nightmare of a show - a sexy high speed roller coaster where story logic and consistency often lose out to style. BUT it is also a veritable cornucopia of male beauty, shamelessly displayed. In fact, the show is often accused of gay-baiting what with all those meticulously sculpted and hairless torsos. I can't speak to that as a het lady, but I know *I'm* hooked. Also, some of the most diverse casting on television! 👏🏽
- •Broad CityThe female gaze is not ALL about ogling beautiful men - after all, not every woman is cis het. Broad City reminds us that sometimes it's just nice when a show paints the world as women see it (because they so rarely do). The BC ladies are dirty, flawed, irresponsible, weird, and unapologetic, which makes them some of the most realistic women characters on TV despite their outsized personas.
- •True BloodBefore it jumped the shark, True Blood had everything: drama, comedy, fantasy, wit, creativity, a fairly diverse cast of characters from fairly diverse backgrounds. But what it really had going for it was Alexander Skarsgård, naked, all the time.Suggested by @LizDawson