HOW TO TIE A MEGA-BADASS STEELHEAD FLY
This is my pattern that I've developed over a couple years. I'm tying tonight to fill a box I'm donating to a fundraiser this weekend. It's called the Chromewrecker.
- 1.Start by laying a thread base on a 35-40 mm articulated shank.
- 2.Add a loop (5.5" before folded) of 30 lb Fireline, this is where the hook gets added at the end (loop to loop connection).
- 3.Tie a fat dubbing ball. This is three colors of STS dubbing blended.
- 4.Add 5-7 grizzly hackle feathers spaced around the shank.
- 5.Dub a body and add some Krystal flash.
- 6.Spin a big, fluffy dubbing ball from Arctic Fox or Finn Raccoon.
- 7.Add a bunch of contrasting grizzly rooster hackle.
- 8.Collar a Gadwall, Mallard, or Guinea feather.
- 9.Tie off, add head cement and attach a hook to the back loop.
- 10.Pat yourself on the back and then go swing up some fuckin 💯 chromers. Catch and release wild steelhead.