PLACES FROM MY CHILDHOOD IN LA THAT I'VE BEEN MEANING TO GET BACK TO
is it weird these are mostly food? when I'm in town nowadays I don't really go to the west side or any of these areas, so I've missed out.
- •Rip City SkatesWas talking about one of my favorite childhood memories today: building a sweet Tony Hawk board (back when skateboards had single tails) at Rip City circa age 4 or 5.
- •Reddi ChickFuck I could so eat some Reddi Chick right now.
- •La Brea Tar Pitsthat Sabretooth though
- •Pink'sVivid memories of Pink's after mid-late 90s punk shows at the Palladium like the Dude Ranch release concert (where the Aquabats opened for Blink and Travis Barker was still in the Aquabats).
- •Charlie's ChiliDude, hang your Paipo on your cruiser and jam down to the pier for some pancakes. So glad I had a friend with a Balboa house.
- •Sherman Oaks Castle ParkSo many memories of sucking at mini golf. Now I'm okay. But as a kid it was a disaster.
- •Hamburger HamletLa Brea was the best. I was okay with Westwood in a pinch. San Vicente didn't feel special at all.
- •Dutton's (RIP, thanks @kelly)Oh my god this place was my hell, but also great. Everyone in my family except for me are big readers (well me under the age of 15, I ended up a reader). I can't tell you how many hours I spent running around Dutton's looking for ANYTHING TO DO. Especially when my mom worked there for fun and @kelly worked there for seasonal gift wrapping.
- •Wild Rivers (RIP)The Edge and the Ledge. So many good memories here.
- •Chicago RibsI have no idea if this place was actually even good or if they are still in business but goddamn those waffle fries.
- •CPK on San Vicenteonly this location. I hope it's still covered in Subway tile and totally magic
- •Benita's Frites (RIP)best fries ever