My Favorite Brewing co.s, Ranked
As a lover of craft beer, these are my end all be alls.
- •Founders, Grand Rapids, MIBecause Centennial IPA might be my favorite beer, and they do all styles equally well. The Rubäeus is not only my favorite fruit beer, but quite possibly my favorite summer beer. And their stouts? Forget about it. Founders all the way.
- •Revolution Brewing, Chicago, ILFirst caught my attention in the movie Drinking Buddies, which served as the location for the movie's brewery. I've been lucky to visit Revolution 3 times now, and each time I can't get over how much I love their beer. Chicago Smoke is fantastic and pairs PERFECTLY with their bacon fat popcorn. Anti-Hero IPA is pretty much perfect. Red Skull is as well. They do heavy beers really well, and it's just a great place to be in an equally great city. Fun fact: 2nd fastest growing brewery in the WORLD!
- •Grand River Brewery, Jackson, MIHometown bias on this one. But they took their beer to a worldwide competition, and Monkey Mouth IPA won the gold medal, with good reason. It's tasty and grapefruity without overpowering. and the first Jackson beer to be canned. Their other beers are fantastic too. I'm especially partial to the Elvis-inspired "Hunk-a Burnin Love" which combines peanut butter and banana flavors. Oh, and the food? Amazing. The staff? Even better. Go Grand River!
- •Lagunitas, Petaluma, CA/Chicago, ILJust really great beer made by great people with a cool story. Haven't been to the founding location in CA yet, but the visit to the Chicago taproom ranks as the #1 coolest brewery experience I've ever had. You enter a warehouse full of black lights and neon, as you traverse a long mysterious hallway while Willy Wonka's "Pure Imagination" plays. And that's before you even get to the great beer, food, and atmosphere in the brewpub that overlooks the beer-making warehouse. Get to Lagunitas!!!
- •Bells, Comstock/Kalamazoo, MIEven if Two Hearted Ale and Oberon were the only 2 beers Bells made, they'd still be on my list. I'm so happy both are available in LA!
- •Stone Brewing Co, Escondido, CAGreat California beers. Interestingly, I found the "Delicious IPA", which is gluten-free, better tasting than the regular Stone IPA.
- •Honorable mention: Dogfish Head, Shorts, Arbor Bewing Co, Sierra Nevada, Dark Horse