Two Books, Two Films, and Two Albums I Think Everyone Should Read, Watch, and Hear
- •The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine De Saint-ExupéryWhile this may be a "children's book" it goes far beyond the realm in which a child can comprehend. This book taught me about life, friendship, love, and loss. Loss in the form of symbolic death. I think this is why I get sad over something or someone I haven't actually lost yet. It taught me that all of my desires can be abolished by the plentituted of your satisfaction. But this book shows that it's important to stay in a child state of mind. "I am who I am and I have the need to be."
- •To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThis book shows the importance of family and duty. It shows the strength that some people must endure when they know they must do the right thing even if it isn't the popular thing. “This time we aren’t fighting the Yankees, we’re fighting our friends. But remember this, no matter how bitter things get, they’re still our friends and this is still our home.” This quote speaks to me because despite me always thinking I've done wrong to my friends and we are fighting, and those I care for, we love.
- •The Princess BrideThis movie is both deep and hilarious. The entire film is filled with quotable one liners and love able characters. It shows that true love is a powerful force—but sometimes leaving love is best for all. Aside from it being "a kissing book" there are just a hundred funny quotes. My favorite scene is when the man in black in a duel of wits with Vizzini. Some of my favorite quotes are: "Mawwiage" "As you wish" "INCONCEIVABLE" "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says different is selling something
- •A Beautiful MindA thought provoking, heart wrenching funny film that shows the struggles of a mathematician and mental illness. It is a film that shows that people take to numbers when what they know falls apart. Relatable I guess… also Nash theory helps show that even socially awkward friends can pick up the 2nd and 3rd prettiest girls in a bar. " I've made the most important discovery of my life. It's only in the mysterious equation of love that any logic or reasons can be found."
- •I and Love and You by The Avett BrothersThis album just is filled from line to line with relatable truth. It's beautiful to see that you aren't alone in what you feel when what you feel is sang so beautifully and eloquently. "And there was a kid, With a head full of doubt, So I'll scream till I die and the last of those bad thoughts are finally out. . . And I'm frightened by those who don't see it." "Walking down lonely has worked like a charm, I'm the only one I had to let down." "Acting like someone I don't want to be …Isn't me."
- •The Color Spectrum by The Dear HunterThis album is a collection of EPs where each one is a different color of the visible light spectrum. Their view was that everyone sees colors differently so this is their take on the emotion that what they see evokes in them. "Press yours lip to mine breathe in deep and lie … but don't get stuck in something you hate." "Dodging truth from the start hide away your heart" You are never going to need him that's why your in my room tonight. So go on you know you need it." "You are not alone."