To parents of special needs students:
I salute you
- •I don't know how you do it. I know you will tell me love, but it takes patience, time, and energy to put up with us! (School staff)
- •Not only are you a parent and probably work, you have a full time second jobAdvocating for your child
- •Emotions run highI feel bad for every time we have had a tearful conversation, including my own tears!
- •Explaining how to approach situationsI only have to do that for other teachers and administrators...what if it was everyone?
- •Bonding is differentThe aggression or non-verbal characteristics of some disabilities might create a mystery.
- •You have to have so much trust
- •Your breaks are few and far between
- •Middle schoolers are meanBy then you have learned about bullying and cruelty
- •You have to talk to so many people and hear so many perspectivesMedical, psych,OT, PT, hearing consultant, Gen ed teacher, special ed teacher, speech path, admin...it goes on and on.
- •Your patience, kindness, and love is inspiring