Best LA Performance Art Works I Know Mostly Through Other People's Words
Rumors and myths!
- •Jason Rhoades' 'Black Pussy Cabaret Macrame'
- •Jack Goldstein burying himself for 24 hours with just a straw and a blinking light to his heart up at CalArts.
- •Dawn Kasper crashing her truck during a performance in Chinatown. I missed it because I was doing a piece at the same time. When I asked her later what happened, she said 'I hadn't decided how the performance would end.'
- •Bad Jan Ader disappearing on a sailboat, aka In Search of the Miraculous
- •John Duncan's Blind Date, where the artist played a recording of himself having sex with a corpse to a dark warehouse in DTLA. I include this more as an example of something that has almost disappeared - John's friends at the time decided not to speak to him about the piece, it was left out of the related catalog.
- •Everything Johanna Went did in punk clubs in the late 70s / early 80s with crazy costumes and antics
- •ASCO staging 'first supper after a major riot' on Whittier blvd.