IT'S NOT OK
I started composing this list in my head on Saturday. Then I heard about the Pulse shooting. Now it's gonna be a bit different. A note on my privilege: I am a white, straight, cis, middle class woman in the US.
- •It's Not OK that the Pulse shooting happened.
- •It's Not OK that there is one more reminder for LGBTQIA individuals that our culture is not safe for them.
- •It's Not OK that laws are still in place to restrict gay men from donating blood.It was not OK back in 2007 when I was made to deny gay men from signing up to be a bone marrow donor and it is really not OK that the laws haven't changed.
- •It's Not OK that the shooter was able to legally and easily obtain the weapons used to cause terror in a safe space and kill so many people.
- •It's Not OK that mass shootings are commonplace now.
- •It's Not OK that many people are reacting and will react with hate, that this will increase islamophobia.
- •It's Not OK that politicians will do nothing except use this as an example to push forward their own agendas.
- •It's Not OK that many people's reactions to the Stanford rape were to defend the attacker and to place blame on the victim.
- •It's Not OK that basically every woman has one or more stories of rape or sexual assault.
- •It's Not OK that sexual violence affects WOC disproportionately.
- •It's Not OK that white feminism silences the voices of WOC.
- •It's Not OK that this list might be taken more seriously because of my privileged status.
- •But It's Not OK to be silent.I usually am. Even here, which I consider a safe space, I'm almost scared to hit publish.