Tell Me About Your Name
Inspired by @Veronique and lots of others
- •My parents chose Rachel mostly just because they liked it."And also it's from the Bible I guess"
- •The first runner up name was BethWhich I really like
- •I do like my name.
- •The only thing about it was it ended up being quite popular that year.Although not as much as Jessica for instance.
- •In my graduating class of 28, three of us were named Rachel.
- •I'm rarely the only Rachel in a given group.
- •When I was growing up many (especially older) adults would misspell my name as Rachael.People don't really do that much anymore.
- •Nothing rhymes with my name which was nice as a kid.
- •Though other kids found out they could annoy me by calling me Rachelle.At my last job I got accidentally called Rachelle fairly often since I had a co-worker with that name who'd been there longer.
- •When I taught in Korea my students had a lot of trouble pronouncing my name.Usually they'd say "Lay-chool" but very rarely "Ray-chur" - L & R are the same in Korean. Though interestingly, the sounds are distinct - it's sometimes pronounced as R and sometimes as L.
- •I had an Israeli friend in college who taught me how to pronounce the original Hebrew name.Though I couldn't do it very well
- •Many places in the world have a version of my name (mostly places with Judeo-Christian traditions).Sometimes they pronounce it totally differently like in Brazil where it sounds like "ha-KAYel"
- •I also love my middle name, which is Jean, because it's my grandmother's name.