BOOKS I'VE LIED ABOUT READING
I work in publishing and I lie
- •The Goldfinch by Donna TarttWas all anyone in the book industry could talk about. It took me a year to get around to reading it. Until then I lied about it at every party I went to.
- •All the Birds, Singing by Evie WyldIs probably a fabulous book, which is what I told the author it was.
- •Anything by Haruki MurakamiI just haven't. When anyone mentions it, I smile and nod enigmatically and mumble about surrrealism.
- •The fucking Bolaño bookOtherwise I wouldn't be able to date in Brooklyn.
- •Science Fiction stuffI like Fantasy. I say I like sci-fi/fantasy because, well, nerds. So I muddle through conversations about sci-fi with condescension and ovaries.
- •I've never read anything by Judy Bloom.But, I have read every Sweet Valley High book published before 1999.
- •Lolita by Vladimir NabokovI've seen the movie.
- •A Jonathan Franzen bookand I've lied to his face, too. But his hair is stunning. I would read his book, if I could run my fingers through it.
- •That Lena Dunham bookwhat is it called? I don't really care. Also, because I couldn't survive in Brooklyn
- •Also, The Satanic Verses, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, White Teeth, The Power Broker, Wuthering Heights, The Color Purple, anything by Amy Hempel, Richard Ford or Graham Greene
- •BONUS books that I have read and pretended I didn'tNora Roberts. All of Nora Roberts.