PLACES I ALWAYS GO ALONE
I don't want to talk, and I probably have reading to do
- •The CloistersMy favorite place in the city. And I don't like to share. Also where I go every year on my birthday to mourn the transience of youth. Because gargoyles.
- •Cain's TavernMy bar. Where I can read unmolested and the bartender tells me I'm pretty.
- •Right before I cancel our plansI don't follow through on two thirds of my plans. I tell people it's because of some vague social anxiety, but it's actually that I'm so comfortable alone that I've become completely inert.
- •ArcherSo good. I don't want to watch it with you.
- •Brooklyn Public Library - Bushwick locationAlways empty. They let me use the copier whenever I want. Books smell amazing.
- •The Quiet PlaceSex Criminals
- •Mosquito Creek - two miles south of the jumping rockRight next to the Snake River, views of the Sleeping Indian, about an hour and forty five from town. Before city life, I camped at least 60 days a year. But never with friends at this spot.
- •Middle-earthI bawled during the final Hobbit movie despite the fact that it was terrible because I love that world and I didn't want it to be over. The films had been a respite after I'd read the books one too many times. Which (side-note) were responsible for my father taking ten years to finish college. Anyway, The Hobbit could have been at least five more movies.
- •InsomniaOld friend and nemesis. Often tied to Archer viewing.
- •Ut acerbus terminus