A Day at the Er
My Tuesday so far.
- •7:00 am: Woken by my grandmother who hands me her cell phone."It's the doctor," she says. "Take her to the ER. Her blood pressure is too low," he says.
- •7:15 am: Grandma's dressed and I throw on something decent.Didn't brush my teeth or have coffee.
- •7:30 am: Arrive at the ER and only one person in the waiting area is yelling.I park the car on the 5th floor of a 5-story deck with no elevator.
- •8:00 am: The doctor calls her in. I wait in the lobby.They do an EKG and I finish my book.
- •8:30 am: We're taken to a room across from a teenager whose dad is arguing with him.Never could figure out what happened. Alcohol perhaps?
- •800 am: We wait.I listen to my grandmother's stories of sneaking into a labor camp during WWII to find her mother. They both survived.
- •10:00 am: More scans.I wait.
- •11:30 am: Grandma returns, laughing and flirting with her male nurse.Things are looking up.
- •1130 pm: More waiting.Now stories about my step-dad's bar mitzvah.
- •12:30 pm: CAT scanI doodle in my notebook. I do not doodle on the reg.
- •1:00 pm: Grandma returns and we wait some more.We've gotten really good at this.
- •4:00 pm: Doctors enter with news that we can go home.I finally get my coffee and my grandmother gets her tea.