Forced Family Fun Outings, Ranked
Growing up, my parents forced us to go to and participate in cultural events against our will. These are some highlights.
- •Not eating fish ovaries with @celine.When I lived in Kyoto, Japan, my step-dad thought it would be a great idea to take a bunch of middle-schoolers to a hipster Japanese restaurant that served whole, raw fish and ovaries. Didn't go well, but it was featured in The New York Times a few years back.
- •Salsa dancing with my step-dad's students.My step-dad is a professor and convinced his students of Japanese history to come to a free salsa lesson with us. I was 11 and they were in their 20's.
- •Dance camp with kids half my age.When I was 13, my mom signed me up for a dance camp with 6-year-olds. I do not dance.
- •Arabian NightsMost misleading name for a free event of swing dancing with retirees. There are pictures somewhere.
- •Art exhibit in an abandoned office building.Bad art and a bad band playing. Our parents made us stay long enough for my mom to start singing with the band.
- •Multiple trips to the local, dingy movie theater to see foreign films.If we went to the movies, it had to be a rated-R, subtitles-only film. We were not allowed to buy snacks even with our own money.