How to Be an Asshole When You Talk About Books
Real conversation I just overheard between a total literary douche and a friend who doesn't seem to be into his "I've read everything and you haven't" vibe.
- •"Infinite Jest is one of my favorite books of all time."
- •"I don't read for pleasure, I read to learn."
- •"I've recently transitioned to goal-oriented reading."
- •"My friends give me flack, but I have over 1000 books to read on my Good Reads list."
- •"Like, I don't want to spend five hours playing board games with friends if I could watch half a dozen lectures or read a whole book instead."
- •"That book he recommended is the only one I've given a one-star rating on Amazon."
- •"I'm usually working on half a dozen books at a time, if not more."
- •"Reading The Republic in French really changed my perspective on Plato."
- •"I'd rather go on a walk than read a romance novel."