Open List: Best Book You've Read (So Far) This Year ➕
- •Autobiography Of A FaceIn her autobiographical memoir, Lucy Grealy details the harrowing account of having part of her jaw removed in elementary school after being diagnosed with cancer. She describes what life was like growing up wanting so badly to fit in with a disfigured face. You will cry and laugh and the cover will terrify everyone on the subway.
- •Single, Carefree, Mellow by Katherine HeinySuggested by @meganangelo
- •Girl in a Band by Kim GordonI'm counting new books only here, since so far this year I've mostly read old Richard Stark pulps. But this memoir by KG is moving, funny, and very cool. It hits three of my sweet spots pretty hard: feminism, 90s alterna, and 80s weirdo NYC art. I interviewed her about it recently and she was amazing. Witty and thoughtful and her speaking voice is like a natural wonder of the world.Suggested by @JessePearson
- •Unspeakable by Meghan Daum (essays)Suggested by @carey
- •In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteFirst book of the year, have not yet topped it. I don't even want to write a paragraph about why you should read it. I mean, if you love Serial, The Jinx, etc then read on the true crime angle. But honestly: just read it because it exists. Your mind will be blown.Suggested by @zoe
- •Brutal Youth by Anthony BreznicanThis book just came out last year. It's a chilling account of bullying in and ineffective administration in a Catholic school. I couldn't put it down.Suggested by @carolineschwartz