MY LIFE IN TEN SONGS
I don't write lists often but I really love this prompt. People can learn so much about one another by talking about music. Thanks for the request @nathanveshecco
- 1.Brownsville Girl - Bob DylanI've loved Dylan's lyrics since I was a child when my Minnesotan family introduced me to him. This song has always felt oddly sentimental to me and I've had the lyrics memorized since I was 9 or 10. To me they're representative of the strange wonder of passing time.
- 2.Cracklin' Rosie - Neil DiamondReminds me of my grandmother, and dancing in circles around the kitchen in her old house.
- 3.Se Telefonando - MinaI listened to this song a lot after a breakup. Never looked up what the Italian lyrics meant, which is odd for someone who loves words and lyrics, but I think paying attention to a voice and not words can be soothing.
- 4.Silver Springs - Fleetwood MacJust a beautiful song about unrequited love.
- 5.About Today - The NationalPerfectly captures that creeping sense of loneliness found in every relationship.
- 6.Coming Around Again - Carly SimonMy mom loved this album and always played this song in the car when I was a kid. It reminds me of her and her unwavering optimism.
- 7.Slowpoke - Crosby, Stills & NashI discovered this song around the same time I realized that there is an excellent brand of loneliness that is just loving your own company. This song reminds me of hours spent alone reading or writing or just thinking.
- 8.Say Yes - The Theater FireI'm both a cynic and a romantic and this song brings out the latter in me. This song sounds like walking towards someone you love.
- 9.Wild Horses - The Rolling StonesThe song has always been emotionally evocative to me. No matter how many times I listen to it, it never loses that magic quality. If it strikes me a certain way on a particular day (or night) I'll cry as a listen.
- 10.Sweet Disposition - The Temper TrapThe first time I listened to this song it gave me a rush of awareness of my youth. I listen to it every time I take off in an airplane. It reminds me of new beginnings and it always makes me feel hopeful.