HOW TO GO TO MARS
We're going to Rainbow Basin, y'all!
- •Rainbow Basin Natural Area is about 8 miles north of Barstow, which is 2 hours-ish away from LA.Your Google maps or what have you will give you accurate directions.
- •You will be driving on about 5 miles of unpaved roads once you're in the area.My Prius was fine, though I drove with an abundance of caution because there are zero services once you turn off the paved roads and I saw few people/cars. Gas up your whip. Get comfortable with the idea of squatting behind rocks to pee.
- •Take the turn for the scenic loop drive.Mars roving!
- •Halfway through the loop you'll reach a parking area marked with a sign that has binoculars on it.
- •Now it's time to explore!Tip: there's no cell service and it's easy to get lost in canyons that all start looking the same. Follow washes in and out and don't try to get clever.
- •If you know geology (I don't) this is like your porn.
- •There's a reason for the "rainbow" moniker.Hashtag no filter.
- •Spend some time thinking about Bobak, the NASA mohawk guy.
- •Take a selfie with a green rock.
- •The way out is not marked.You'll get to a yield sign and three possible directions to go. Turn left and you'll soon be back on the road that led you in.
- •Then drive home and eat something terrible for you on the road. You deserve it.