THINGS THAT WERE VERY COOL AT MY (UTAH) HIGH SCHOOL
This was Mormon country and I am 100% serious about all of these
- •"Modest is hottest"This was a strategy to try to convince the teens that the fashions they saw in magazines could be adapted so that they would not commit the sin of temptation. So, a t-shirt was always worn under tank tops. Bike shorts or capris went under skirts and shorts. Below the knee shorts were a thing. As were maxi dresses before they became popular. There was a fair share of French braids.
- •Not smoking
- •Not drinking
- •AbstinenceWe knew one girl who had made out with her boyfriend. She was seen as a heathen.
- •PranksWhen you're not smoking, drinking or having sex, you gotta do something on the weekends. A favorite of my crew was the old fake vomit trick. We'd pull up to a red light, the designated vomiter would fill their mouth w dry oatmeal and orange juice and then they'd lean out the window and pretend to be sick. We thought it was hilarious.
- •Elaborate dance proposalsUtah was onto this schtick way before the youth of today.
- •Grease sing-a-longs at school dancesThe boys would get on one side and girls on the other and we'd take the appropriate parts for Summer Loving.
- •Talking about the General Conference and Young Men/Women's groupsI wasn't Mormon so I just kind of nodded along.
- •Driving around listening to ska, smoking candy cigarettesWe thought we were soooo cool and bad.