OVERHEARD AT AN OUTDOOR PRODUCTION OF MACBETH AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
They used the entire campus as a stage, so there was lots of walking between scenes. Apparently that means the social codes of theatre are lifted.
- •I don't get it—he's the only one with a British accent, the outfit, the clear glasses—is that Macbeth or the lead in a BBC rom com?
- •Is this a fraternity?A dad, witnessing the hundred-person cross-campus march
- •(A rousing chorus of "happy birthday" from across campus)
- •Hoowww nowwww my looooordAlways at least one drunk kid at a college show
- •I usually hate audience participation, but this isn't that bad
- •We're just gonna take a pictureTwo drunk guys from a business school function hopped on the lion statue in the middle of the audience
- •Are we sure those glasses aren't for women?(I happen to work at the company that makes said glasses, and they are indeed unisex)
- •So…our lights just cut outA stagehand on the phone. They were out for a couple minutes and the actors acted their butts off to compensate.
- •Just gonna Sparknotes it after
- •Go BBC!A guy just approached an onstage ensemble member for an awkward casual chat and those were his (very loud) parting words
- •What the fuckA bunch of kids getting out of class in the building upstage. Surprise!