9 Reasons to Drive, Not Fly, Between LA and Montana
- •A date shake at the Mad GreekIn general, I think the Mad Greek is a lame road trip cliche. HOWEVER, a date shake is hard to beat.
- •The lunch buffet at Lotus of SiamI've made the drive from Montana just for this place.
- •Moapa Paiute Travel PlazaThe best tchotchke and liquor selection I've ever seen at a gas station. Plus it's a good place to grab a sixer of Budweiser Chelada (for your passengers- duh!). Throw away the cans and disown this tacky beverage upon arrival.
- •Horizontal Bore and Drilling Co (brothel) Ely, NevadaEly is full of brothels, but this one has the best name.
- •Gas Station Zebra, Scipio, UtahYou can pet him!
- •Lava Hot Springs, IdahoThere are a few old inns around town with soaking pools- all built in the days when people believed that sort of thing healed any and everything.
- •Scotty's Drive-In, Idaho Falls, IdahoIf you're not hungry at Idaho Falls, wait until you get to Ashton and hit the Frostop Drive-In. It's easy to spot- there's a two story root beer mug out front.
- •Henry's Fork of the Snake River, Island Park, IdahoIn summer, when car rides feels extra hot, this is the best place to find a semi-private spot to pull over, strip down, and jump in. Or if you're into being bored and stoic, fly fish.
- •Yellowstone National Park west entrance, West Yellowstone, MontanaWest Yellowstone isn't the best, but from here the vastness and wonder of Yellowstone Park unfurls before you. Grab a map of the park and pick your final, gorgeous stretch of road.