FIRST TIME HOME BUYING: WHAT NO ONE WARNS YOU ABOUT
We're only a month in, so I'm sure there's more.
- •The house hunt itself is addicting.There could *always* be a better house out there...
- •You will want to buy all the things to decorate your new home.Even if you don't need any of it. And those Home Depot, Lowe's & Target gift cards go reeeeeal fast. Money pit possibilities are endless.
- •Introductions to new neighbors.You imagine in your head that it'll be all neighborly and they'll pop over to introduce themselves ASAP, and you'll be like hey thanks for the pie see you never! But you see them randomly and when you're unprepared and you're walking the dog with no bra on in your side yard and they spot you somehow through the bushes and it's awkward.
- •If you are a female and look young enough (under age 65?) all male professionals associated with home buying (home insurance inspector, lawn guy, fence guy, trash guy, etc) will ask you upon you answering your door: "are you the renter?" or "does your boyfriend or husband own the house?" or "is the homeowner home?"So satisfying to answer yet also rage inducing.
- •Caulking your windows is a thing you have to do/think about.
- •You will have to sign what feels like endless (truly endless) amounts of paperwork.Your hand is going to cramp and eventually your signature morphs into something that is not your signature.
- •There's always going to be something you hate about your new house.I missed my walk-in closet from our apartment. I hated that all my clothes didn't fit into one closet. I had them stored in three different locations in the 'new' house. The fabulous kitchen totally made up for the lack of closet space.Suggested by @Perchlakegirl
- •Your realtor probably, in the end, only wants the deal to go through.During our final walk-through, I noticed a few small piles of grit on the carpet. I asked my realtor about them, and he pretended to think about it and said, "I think that's just artisan sand." It was a forclosed property that had been empty for months, but I was like, ok? Turned out to be termite crap. I actually hate him.Suggested by @biz
- •Yard work is a bitch.Suggested by @amieshmamie