thoughts while running the airbnb brooklyn half, by mile
on saturday, I ran a half marathon for the first time since I was hospitalized with pneumonia. here's kind of how it went, by mile.
- •alright. one mile down. this isn't so bad. I can totally do this. I think I'm going fast!
- •holy crap, there are a lot of people around me. they're going pretty slow and are forming lines — it might be more annoying than slow sidewalk tourists.
- •yep, definitely more annoying than tourists. I'm also kind of hungry. I should have eaten that second banana.
- •prospect park is cool. I'm into this.
- •this gradual-ass hill in prospect park is not cool. I'm not into this.
- •downhill? HALLELUJAH.
- •more than halfway and bieber is on shuffle. things are feeling great!
- •just kidding, this is the part where it starts to hurt. I remember this now. crap.
- •when is mile 10? I feel like I should've made it to 10 by now...
- •WHEN IS MILE 11.
- •okay, okay. only a few miles left... breathe. oof. not that deeply. lungs are NOT having that.
- •so close! I'm so close! this is when you push through the pain, makena.
- •why are they making us all squeeze up this tiny ramp... don't they know this is a 30,000 person race? wait, is that the finish line? SPRINT. SPRINT. SPRINT.
- •(walking) give me water and give me alcohol.