➕MUSICALS I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THAT NO ONE HAS MENTIONED YET (ADD YOURS!)
Yeah, yeah, Sondheim is great. But what about...
- •SmileTeens compete in a beauty pageant. Hijinks ensue. Even if you don't know this show, you may have heard the gorgeous song "Disneyland" from it. Everyone always wants to be Daria, but I'd have killed to play Robin.
- •City of AngelsLA noir. Funny and smart as all get out. The harmonies in this, my god.
- •Once on This Island"Waiting For Life" gives me chills.
- •Annie WarbucksSequel to Annie. Two con women are trying to steal Daddy Warbucks' heart - and his money. Can Annie and her orphan friends stop them before it's too late?! I swear this is real and I can sing you most of the songs.
- •Title of ShowShow within a show within a show! So fun and sweet.Suggested by @alexandrafiber
- •The musical within a show on Smash, Bombshell. I think @jonathon would agree.Suggested by @magdalenam
- •Drood! The MusicalBased on The Mystery of Edwin Drood, the unfinished novel by Charles Dickens. I actually don't remember if this is a good musical or not. I watched a regional production of it in high school and loved the interactive-ness of it and how the audience got to choose the ending and love songs though.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •Carrie, the musicalI have never seen it or even heard any music from it but I was obsessed with the idea of it for years in college. Apparently they have done several revivals of it in the past 5 years, a few here in SF! But it fell off my radar and I didn't get a chance to see any productions of it (something I sorely regret). Hasn't anyone seen this? Is it good? I feel like it's the 80s version of Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark...Suggested by @eatthelove
- •CompanyNary a day goes by that I don't quote this show aloud or to myself (usually "and another hundred people just got off of the train" if I'm in NY; something from "Being Alive" if in LA)Suggested by @vp
- •Kiss of the Spider Woman: the third vortex in the holy Kander & Ebb trinity also comprised of Cabaret and ChicagoSuggested by @SGGinNYC
- •Falsettos. What a libretto. "Father to Son" and "What Would I Do"? River of tears.Suggested by @jansonebwoodlee