Already on li.st? Open in app.
feel free to add your own!
- •Saeed JonesI've read prelude to bruise three times now. so should you.
- •Claudia Rankine"Citizen" was a devastating, necessary read. I don't think I've read a collection that's felt more vital, vulnerable & rebelliously alive. it made me want to read everything else she's done. this phrase cores me every time: "Wait with me. Wait with me through the waiting might be the call of good-byes" (from "February 26, 2012 / In Memory of Trayvon Martin").
- •Sachiko Murakamione of my favourite toronto-based poets. her stuff is experimental but also not afraid to be beautiful & decadent, which is a delicious combo. yum.
so I love this show with all my heart but omg my jaw just dropped watching this
- •k so we start off with Chris walking into Ron's officenote the position of ron's gun
- •cue Ron reaction shotall good so far
- •but then when we go back to Chris the gun position has changedok so this is nitpicky. shit like this happens all the time in movies and tv. whatever. also it could just be a different angle. idk film isn't my thing. but then something crazy happens...
K so this list will be a little canlit-heavy but you'll be fine. also, I say beautiful too many times. 👻❤️ if you wanna add your own, the rule is you need to have a picture of it cuz pretty.
- •The Outer Harbour - Wayde Comptonthese stories, set in Vancouver, fucking rocked me. Compton writes about life in cities, life on the edge of ecological, ethical disaster, decolonizing art, the future. can't recommend these stories highly enough. they are beautiful and smart and dangerous. if you only read one collection of short stories this year, read this.
- •Prelude to Bruise - Saeed Jonesok so this one is technically from 2014 but it's amazing and I read it this year. I'm sure this has become a lot of people' favourite poetry collections and Saeed really deserves all the praise he's gotten this year because Prelude to Bruise is unreal. I've never seen somebody write like this and I'm not sure I can exactly pin down why. so necessary and gorgeous.
- •Dear Leader - Damien RogersRogers work is really hard to describe. her voice is distinct, tense, sometimes funny and always beautiful. here's a great passage: "Iron your mind out like a crisp bedsheet. Hang it on a clothesline. Call it the sky."
academic hit piece understood here to mean an intellectually dishonest essay that takes down the ideas of an actual academic with a PhD and a lifetime of experience with the source material, who is probably a lovely person with a kind heart and soul who just had the misfortune of being near the top of jstor's search algorithm.
pretty sure this list is the opposite of the flexing emoji 💪 @celeste @kellydehoop
- •where I am rn
- •idk why I'm here I'm 100% not listening
- •my listapp feed cannot update frequently enough to fill the void of my interest in this class
have a feeling this won't be relatable and is way too specific and weird but omg this emoji is so special to me.
- •when I'm unsure what to respond to someone's text, 👻 strolls into my convo like a fucking bossseriously, you're my hero and apply always in any and all conversations.
- •her day job is chasing pac-manwhen she's not featuring in most of my text conversations, 👻 is crushing it at work. let's be honest pac-man is a greedy douchebag whose shit needs to be fucked with. thanks 👻!
- •👻 is the most unrestrained, beautiful expression of joy I can think oftongue-out, hands up - everybody, this is an objectively better way to show your happiness than smiling awkwardly. you should probably start doing this immediately.
- •maybe 👻 doesn't feel joyful all the time (I know I don't) but when she does, she shows it and it's breathtaking.
- •the last 500 words of my essay
- •erasing my first 2000 words
- •writing 2000 more words of my essay
- •When you craft a beautiful tweet and only two people favourite it and those people are both your mom.loss of innocence
- •When a letter comes saying your hydro will be cut off for 12 hours due to maintenance.loss of innocence
- •When you and your friend sing the high part in hello and the audio cuts.loss of innocence
((I feel like the Internet isn't better or worse just more better and more worse))
- •it brings people closer
- •it creates new spaces for people marginalized by our shitty arrangement of power
- •it's a medium that allows people to love themselves better
- •a guy who looks like Jean-Ralphio