WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
- •TranslatorGrew up with Greek and Spanish, liked be able to understand both grandparents even though they never understood each other.
- •PsychologistGreat listener and was able to empathize with others deeply. But then thought, "could I listen to people's problems all day?"
- •PhotographerMy dad was a picture frame manufacturer and all the photographers that came in always looked so cool, like such free spirits.
- •AccountantMath was my favorite subject, actually got a thrill out of math solutions turning out correct. My sister thought I was weird btw. Dad said that was a good career for a girl!
- •Stock brokerSeemed really exciting! I did well on a class assignment with a faux portfolio so I thought I was awesome at predicting trends thanks to Coleco/Hasbro stock that came out with the cabbage patch kids. Dad said girls don't become stock brokers.
- •ChefAlthough we were the only Greeks that never owned a restaurant I think this would have been my true calling. Loved to cook still do. When I was younger I would barter with my mom to let me cook...if I clean the bathrooms will you let me bake cookies. She actually would pause and think about it, I eventually caught on!