TOP HAMILTON SONGS (IMO)
I've been listening to the cast album of "Hamilton" and it has made quite the impression on me. Like, it's relentless.
- 1.Helpless/SatisfiedI consider these one song, as they are about the same man from two perspectives, and the fact I cannot choose between the two of them. The women in this show are the showstoppers. The nuanced admiration of this wild immigrant. The beauty then deep sadness of "I'm about to change your life". Brilliant.
- 2.Aaron Burr, Sir/My ShotOkay but really, the seamless blending of these two REALLY make it feel like one. "Who's this kid what's he gonna do / I am not throwing away my shot!" Addicted to the quick raps by Laurens, Mulligan, and especially Lafayette. Bonus points for: if you stand for nothing, Burr, what will you fall for?
- 3.Non-StopPerfectly buttons Act I with the perspective of all of our key players here. Hamilton ranting about the history they are currently making is a laugh. "Look around, isn't this enough?" He will really never be satisfied.
- 4.The Room Where It HappensLin Manuel Miranda has said that hip hop integrates any other genre to make its point and he surely did that here. It's as if Omar Little and McNulty wound up in New Orleans fighting for their version of territory. The jazz, the the passion of Burr.
- 5.The Schuyler SistersBeyoncé and Destiny's Child of 1780s. The queens. Angelica especially. "You disgust me / oh so you've discussed me?"
- 6.Alexander HamiltonCan YOU say your hype men are the founding fathers and an unbelievably cool wife? Alexander Hamilton can. And they hype him well. The origin of my favorite motif: "Just you wait, just you wait"
- 7.BurnThere has never been a song that gets tears in my eyes as involuntary as this one. When Eliza wails "youuuu, you you you!" I am a puddle. The silver lining to any break up is that I can now cry to this song. "You forfeit all rights to my heart". How does LMM write like he's running out of time?
- 8.Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)Hercules Mulligan's intro in this is worthy of the top 10. Panicky fiddles, ragged fear, brave leadership. I feel like I fought and won a war in 4 minutes. "Take the bullets out yo guns / we move undeecover and we move as one"
- 9.Dear TheodosiaMy love for this one is unique because I hate listening to it because of how emotional it makes me. The complexity in humanizing your enemies, realizing you have more in common with them than you thought. Also the beauty of their children...okay this is why I don't listen to it. But I adore it so deeply.
- 10.You'll Be Back/What Comes Next/I Know HimTight, hysterical British pop ditties are absolutely the funniest pieces of this album. Instant classic: "I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love"