Already on li.st? Open in app.
Because I want to meet you all!
- •I'm going to be in London 14-17 JulyGiving you plenty of notice here so you can run away, but also so any other UKers can try to make it
- •I'm visiting for Hyper Japan so will be booked up all Sunday but pretty flexible otherwise and staying centrallyFriday after work maybe? Or Saturday afternoon?
I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Edinburgh and it was so cool!
- •The hotel walls are covered in portraits of creative Scots
- •Even the room numbers are made of books
- •Wall of books
It's my birthday tomorrow so I'm having an overnight visit to Edinburgh. Hoping the existence of this list will remind me to take photos.
- •I arrived at lunchtime because off-peak train tickets and it's super warm and sunny after days of snow and hail and rain.Even the Scott monument doesn't look entirely terrifying.
- •Dropped my bag at my very patriotic hotelIt's not actually called this anymore
- •Lunch!I really wanted the steamed bun but they were out so I just had gyoza and Thai fries.
For my own reference because I had to give up caffeine 10 years ago and it's still an unending torment trying to find something for everyday that is anywhere near as good as real coffee. Let me know if you have any suggestions - I'm getting a new stovetop moka for my birthday.
- 1.Rombouts one cup filtersQuite decent, though presumably horrendous for the environment so I don't get it very often.
- 2.M&S / Waitrose own brand one cup filtersSlightly worse than above but easier to get hold of
- 3.Kenco Millicano "Caff Free" 🙄Fine. As good as any instant real coffee I've had. This is what I mostly drink.
I used to put 'having more blogs than you' in my hobbies/interests, with good reason! They are almost all still online too.
- 1.diskant (1998-2012) - diskant.netMy music/pop culture site that I ran for ten years with all my best friends. This was consistently brilliant and stupid (there's a category for pie). Note that 2 of the 3 posts in this screenshot are about lists - we wrote so many lists.
- 2.Unsharp (2000-2010)Basically livejournal, but I didn't know about that. This was on a bunch of diary type sites and then on blogger. I used to blog when bored at work and kept it up for a long time until I decided to write more personal stuff on my business blog. It's locked down now so sadly the world will have to live without my thoughts on the Tamagotchi Corner Shop games. The title is from my most used photoshop filter: unsharp mask (NERD)
- 3.Portfolio (2003-present) - marcelinesmith.comThis is my professional site for web/design/consultancy clients that I designed in about an hour and never remember to update. Surely that's a good sign for a freelancer though, that I'm too busy to work on my own site? And yes, Pusheen is a client of mine!
I rewatched Cagliostro last week and then a few days later Tor.com wrote a big article on it to start their Ghibli Rewatch! I'm going to follow along and will post some thoughts on each film and then maybe try to rank them at the end. Join in if you like!
- •The Castle of CagliostroThis gets no love because it's pre-Ghibli but it has a lot of Miyazaki trademarks and is just great fun. The car chase! The clock tower fight! The secret treasure reveal! Also the Count is a fabulous villain with his evil castle of ingenious traps and terrifying black metal wedding.
Not really over the demise of Friendster yet either tbh
- •FlickrI've been uploading photos to my account every week since I got my first digital camera in 2005. My entire life is on here and I live in constant fear that Yahoo will just kill it. This is one of my earliest digital photos: the seagull that used to TAP ON MY BEDROOM WINDOW and then stare at me 😖
- •It tracks your listening over all devices and gives you cool charts and stuff. I don't check it much anymore but a lot of my friends still use it too and it's fun to have such a ridiculously long catalogue of my listening habits (again, since 2005).
- •LovefilmI've been renting DVDs through the mail for so long that the service started as Amazon rental, was bought up by Lovefilm and then bought back by Amazon. It's better value than Netflix for me and one of the only ways I can watch a lot of US shows. Look, I am finally getting to see S4 of The Mindy Project!
Inspired by @bookishclaire. I'm not going anywhere, but if you are please do keep in touch. Or if you just want MORE ME ALL THE TIME YAY
- •My Blog: blog.askingfortrouble.co.ukI already post 3-4 times a week about biz stuff, crafts, travel, Japan and other randomness. I may be blogging more instead of listing if the lack of drafts proves to be an issue for me with longer posts, as I suspect it will.
- •Instagram: @marcelinesmithPretty pictures! Mostly my art/business/crafts but also personal stuff, travels etc.
- •Because I haven't got mine yet but I don't want to pester support if it's on its way
- •But I had a finished draft that I decided not to publish last night because I was going to bed and it feels rude to publish and disappear, ignoring any comments.
- •But that'll learn me
This might be a regular feature as I change up the display seasonally
- •Happiness cup with a rainbow pompom insideFile under 'weird but great decorating ideas I had'
- •Easter Bunny nesting dolls
- •Disco Loppy