AMAZING THINGS I SAW AT THE COSMONAUTS EXHIBITION
Too much excitement for a lifelong space nerd. It's at the London Science Museum until March so just go already.
- 1.The actual Vostok capsule used by TereshkovaThings that have actually been in space are so thrilling
- 2.The first capsule for 3 peopleInstant claustrophobia
- 3.Valentina Tereshkova's beautifully embroidered space suitThis made me once again kind of want to go back to university and research the women who sewed up all the space suits. There was a snippet of footage of women sewing space suits out of Mylar in an Apollo doc once and I was like TELL ME THAT STORY!
- 4.Unused Lunar landerSo enormous and alien compared to the LEM.
- 5.An engineering copy of SputnikThey also had the BEEP BEEP BEEP sound playing. So cool.
- 6.Sputnik 3, looking like a Dalek made from the contents of someone's cutlery drawerOne of the many reasons I love the early years of the space program.
- 7.Full size model of Laika in her little spacesuit and capsule
- 8.The greatest portrait painting of KorolevAnd despite a whole wall of art prints, not available in the shop 🙁
- 9.Alexei Leonov's tin of coloured pencilsAll tied together with string so as not to to float off.
- 10.Original drawings by Tsiolkovsky and Korolev
- 11.So much awesome poster artSorry Americans, Soviet space design is the greatest.
- 12.Replica Soyuz jacketsSomeone give me £100
- 13.Notebooks made from recycled Russian library booksI think I bought the best one.
- 14.A whole wall of space suits for all events
- 15.Hand-painted space-themed matryoshka dolls
- 16.One of the Yuri Gagarin-faced test dummies
- 17.Cosmonaut space foodNot looking very appetising
- 18.Space cupcakesIn a tin, in the cafe. I'm not joking. (It was actually pretty good)