BALLETS I HAVE SEEN PERFORMED
Who else loves the ballet? These are all Scottish Ballet productions in Glasgow unless otherwise stated.
- •Swan Lake, 2016Just last night! This was really beautiful but also very minimalist, especially the staging. I still want to see a more classic production sometime. Worth it just for the Tchaikovsky score.
- •Hansel and Gretel, 2013My favourite part was changing the setting so that Hansel and Gretel lived in a 1950s Glasgow tenement.
- •The Nutcracker, 2012Possibly the most traditionally styled production they've done since I started going. The music!
- •Sleeping Beauty, 2011I think I actually saw this twice in different years. It was baffling without the programme synopsis. Red Riding Hood is in it and Sleeping Beauty pricks her finger on a cactus. Sure, why not.
- •Alice, 2011This was really well done for a small company but sadly completely overshadowed by the Royal Ballet's production in Covent Garden the same year. That might be my favourite ballet ever, though I saw it on TV. See if you can watch it online. The red queen is awesome.
- •The Most Incredible Thing, 2011 (Sadlers Wells, London)Scored by the Pet Shop Boys, but you'd never really guess as it's a real proper ballet. The only pop moment is, brilliantly, when the king sends the princess to her room and she dances to pop music in front of her poster-clad walls. It's based on a Hans Christian Anderson story, which they tweaked into a kind of modern day X-Factor talent contest.
- •Cinderella, 2010I remember this being wonderfully over the top with neon tutus and a Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette style.
- •I also saw The Nutcracker when I was in primary school but I don't remember much about it.