Funny things about Japanese culture
Thanks for the request @solena!
- •Cute mascots for everythingWhat's this? Oh just the official mascot of the police!
- •Random English text on packagingYou usually have to read it a few times to figure out what they mean. This is a bottle of water I bought at the airport.
- •Transport advice signsYou are constantly reminded to be thoughtful on public transport in hundreds of ways.
- •Sleeping on trainsEveryone snoozes on trains, at all times of the day, however short the journey, from business men to schoolgirls. I've had little old grannies fall asleep on my shoulder more than once. The corner seats are much coveted for this reason. (not my photo!)
- •Train station melodiesEach station has its own little jingles, which is great if you can't see the signs or are sleeping. However some are literally popular nursery rhymes and you start expecting an ice cream van to arrive next. (Is this a CD of train jingles!?!)
- •People bowing to machinesIt's reflexive but still amusing. I have caught myself bowing to the automated elevator voice. It's just so polite!
- •Animals apologisingRather than notices from the management at zoos etc., quite often the animal itself will take responsibility. This bunny is sorry it's gone to bed so you can't pet it.
- •Inanimate objects with feelingsVia my new favourite Twitter www.twitter.com/japansmanyfaces