Growing tomatoes on my dining table: an experiment 🍅
I love the smell of tomatoes so I thought I would try to grow some indoors since I have a big sunny bay window.
- •I got this cute kit from WaitroseAnd then had to wait a couple of months until I got back from Japan and could take care of it.
- •Sprouts!🌱So magical
- •I had to choose the strongest three to keep and then they grew like mad
- •Flowers!I was really worried about it at this point. It was looking very unhappy and I had to go away on holiday and leave it in the kitchen sink.
- •The first tomato 🍅I ended up repotting it into a larger pot and it was much happier and grew even bigger and popped out a tomato. I was so excited.
- •Lots of tomatoes 🍅🍅🍅I should have been pruning it more so ended up with way too many flowers and only a few tomatoes.
- •The biggest and smallestSo much for cherry tomatoes! I never got more than three tomatoes per truss. I'll know better next time.
- •Turning red!!This took weeks and the weather was getting colder every day.
- •So closeI should actually have been picking these before they turned fully red. I hadn't read that far along on the growing guides 🙃
- •First harvest 🍅🍅🍅I ate them just with a little salt and olive oil and they were the best tomatoes I've ever tasted.
- •Now waiting to see if the other 8 will ripen before winter sets inIt's already freezing in my flat.
- •Overall a success!With the kit and repotting stuff, these are also the most expensive tomatoes I've ever eaten but I learned a lot. Next year will be bigger and better!