What it's like living in a 111 year old house
I rent a flat in a typical Scottish tenement that was built in 1905. (Yes I forgot to publish this last year and maybe it's 112 now but that's not as cool - blame the update that made it hard to find my drafts)
- •I know this because the date is carved into the building!This is from Google before I lived there in case you're trying to guess my flat from what's in the windows.
- •THE GOOD
- •It has cool old featuresLike these Art Deco tiles in the stairwell
- •There's so much lightWith huge windows and high ceilings.
- •It has really fun featuresBuilt in shelves! Nooks! Bay windows! Cupboards everywhere! A fireplace!
- •I have a porchSo fancy. I really enjoy unlocking the front door every morning plus delivery guys will leave parcels in there.
- •It's quietThose Edwardians knew how to build a good house. My previous flat was built in 1980 and I spent 7 years wanting to murder my neighbours.
- •THE BAD
- •It's incredibly coldAs a miser/starving artist I can't afford to have the heating on much but the giant rooms and high ceilings make it freezing from October-March.
- •I share space with a lot of insectsI actually like spiders but even I have to clear them out occasionally or I'd be overrun. I have also perfected my mosquito killing instincts after the summer of endless bites.
- •It can be creepyLuckily I have never been into horror movies. Sometimes the bathroom door opens creakily by itself, there are some fantastically scary looking trees in the garden and a noisy owl that I have come to love. It has excellent comic timing.
- •The letterbox is hilariously tinyPerfect for olde tyme postcards and telegrams but not modern mail. I have on occasion heard the postman attempting to cram through larger items and dramatically opened the door. Mostly he now drops it in my porch and bangs the door.
- •As a short person, maintenance can be toughI'm 5'4. The ceilings are about 10' high. To change a lightbulb I have to balance a stepladder on top of a table and can still only just reach. I'm still wondering how to clean the floor to ceiling tiles in the bathroom without drenching myself.
- •Old stuff is not always coolMy bathroom pipes are coated with 100 years of slime. I have to clean them out regularly or else I'll be showering standing in 4" of water.
- •Every time a tradesman comes round I get stuck in a verging on mansplaining conversationMe: oh yeah, it does do that weird thing. I don't know why. Tradesman: LET ME TELL YOU nb. sometimes this is actually interesting.
- •Overall I love my home ❤ I just wish it was warmer