How My Parents Got Engaged (as I Remember It) (Even Though I Wasn't There) 💕💗
My parents have been married for 39 years. My mom has often told me the story of their engagement. When I retell it, she says I'm doing it wrong. But I like my version. And I like the attached pictures even if they have nothing to do with the story.
- •My parents met in a ballroom dance class.My mom's cousin took the class with her and my dad was too scared to ask her out because he thought the cousin was her boyfriend.
- •My dad played basketball in high school and was the team captain.
- •I'm now realizing I don't know if my mom participated in anything in high school.I know she didn't participate in basketball and didn't care all that much about it.
- •On their first date my dad would stop the car at every stop light and pretend he was crashing through the windshield in slow motion.He made "dad jokes" long before becoming a dad.
- •On the night they got engaged, he took her to her parents' backyard and they sat on a bench overlooking the Salt Lake valley.💕🌃✨
- •"Kris, do you love basketball?"
- •(Guessing what was happening) "Of course!"
- •"I mean...do you REALLY love basketball?"
- •"I mean...would you want to watch basketball for the rest of your life?"
- •"Then will you marry me?"
- •To my mom's credit, she was only lying a little bit and has watched a lot of basketball since.
- •He's coached, reffed, and played basketball my whole life. Lucky for me, they love each other for other reasons, too.