Things to Not Say to Single People
- •"You're next!"Often said at weddings. This is categorically untrue. I can 100% guarantee someone somewhere will be getting married before me.
- •"It'll happen when you least expect it!"This sounds like relationships are basically sneak attacks. And also, I'm never expecting it.
- •"It'll happen when you've given up all hope."One of my favorite book quotes was from a non-fiction in which the lady said, "How much hope did they think I had left to give up?!" She was 60+ when she got married.
- •"They're just not good enough for you."This seems to be referring to men in general? Again, not true. And it gives me a false sense of greatness. I'm pretty great, but not greater than *every man*.
- •"At least you're not married to some horrible guy!"While this IS true, these are not the only two options.
- •"Maybe your husband is already dead."My coworker said this to me and then I cried. Such a weird, cruel thing to say. Also, I'm only 29.