THINGS I WISH THERE WERE BETTER WORDS FOR
- •The step siblings I acquired in adulthood.Step-sibling seems too intimate when we didn't grow up together. "In law" would be closer, but confusing. There should be a generic "closely related to someone I'm closely related to" word.
- •Depression.The disease. Not to be used interchangeably with "sad" or "unhappy" or to mean grief stricken or devastated. I wish there was a word that meant, clearly and distinctly: "Depression, the medical and chemical issue that needs to be treated because it's serious and life threatening."
- •Forgetting what you walked into the room for.
- •Binge watching a TV show.I just don't like "binge." Say it three times fast. Yuck, right?
- •OvermorrowIt means "the day after tomorrow" but no one uses it.
- •Boyfriend/GirlfriendAfter four or five years of dating there should be an upgraded term.
- •The joy of someone else doing a small task for you.Making you a sandwich, picking up something you dropped, holding the door. They didn't have to, there's no expectation of repayment, they're just making being a human a little easier for a moment.