GOOD ADVICE FROM SONGS
- •Don't let anyone stand in your way.Jens Lekman's "Postcard to Nina"
- •If you hate the way buses scrape their brakes all over town, pretend it's whales just keeping their voices down.Wolf Parade's "Grounds for Divorce"
- •Drink a lot less coffee. Maybe don't ever watch the 10 o'clock news. Kiss somebody nice; both of you will get practice. Cut your own hair because that can be so funny! It doesn't cost any money and it always grows back. Hair grows even after you're dead.Regina Spektor's "Ghost of Corporate Future"
- •I'll never kiss anyone that doesn't burn me like the sun.Jens Lekman's "And I Remember Every Kiss"
- •Don’t be impressed by strong personalities. Sincere words are rarely sickly sweet. But if they fool you - which they have been known to - don't lose your sight. Know something’s not right.Laura Marling's "Gurdjieff's Daughter"
- •Don't pull your hair out. I won't pull my hair out. For I have never seen a sun that did not bury his head at the side of the world when the day is done.Sunset Rubdown's "Us Ones in Between"
- •If you ever hear someone say you are huge, look at the moon, look at the stars, look at the sun. Look at the ocean and the desert and the mountains and the sky. Say "I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye. I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye and I don't want to make her cry."Kimya Dawson's "I Like Giants"
- •Get a real job. Keep the wind on your back and the sun on your face.Rilo Kiley's "Does He Love You?"
- •Even if it’s all a curse and we’re just getting worse, please don’t lose your faith in the good earth.Vampire Weekend's "California English"
- •You gone hurt your back dragging all them bags like that. I guess nobody ever told you all you must hold onto is you. One day all them bags gonna get in your way. Pack light.Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady"
- •If you only have one bean and you meet someone with no bean, you should give them half your bean. 'Cause you will be less hungry if you eat just half a bean than if you eat a whole bean in front of somebody with no bean.Kimya Dawson's "Sunbeams and Some Beans"
- •You don't have to go to college.Animal Collective's "College"
- •BONUS: Take your chapstick. Put it on your lips.Vampire Weekend's "Oxford Comma"... Sometimes the best advice is just to not have chapped lips.