EVERYTHING I ATE IN CHARLESTON
I went to Charleston last week and ate a lot. Disclaimer: I am from New Jersey so it doesn't take much southern food to impress me. My boyfriend and I agreed we didn't have one bad meal and the service was amazing literally everywhere we went.
- •ToastGood for brunch. Ordered shrimp and grits which made for a great first meal in Charleston.
- •Five Loaves CafeTied for my favorite meal. Order mussels as an appetizer because they give you bread for the table so you can dip it in the sauce. Lots of good specials and gluten free options.
- •Sticky FingersPretty alright BBQ. We were starving and this was the first place we passed and had a BBQ feast for lunch. Better BBQ coming up, though.
- •Jim N' Nick's BBQBest BBQ we ate. I always advise getting ribs when at a delicious BBQ place.
- •The MacintoshOn the expensive side, but it's worth it. Bone marrow bread pudding is a must. Lots of fresh ingredients.
- •The Obstinate DaughterIf you make it out to Sullivan's Island, EVERYONE tells you to go to this casual Italian restaurant. Tied for my favorite meal: short ribs and ricotta gnocchi. I can still fucking taste it. Boyfriend ordered grouper which is also a must when in Charleston.
- •Poe's TavernA fun pub on Sullivan's Island. My boyfriend and I gorged on grilled chicken + buffalo shrimp sandwiches and cheese fries before our flight.
- •Charleston AirportWe ended up stuck in this tiny airport for 21 hours and my advice is buy as many muffins as you can. Most bang for your buck and they'll keep you full rather than buying salty, greasy, expensive and mediocre pizza from the only restaurant.
- •But alsoPlaces we didn't get to go: Hominy Grill and Husk. We didn't get to Hominy Grill because we're not huge brunch people (SORRY) and needed to save money somewhere. Husk is supposed to be amazing but you need to make reservations weeks in advance.
- •Courtyard MarriottThe one in the historic district on Calhoun Street. The concierge there are top notch. Kevin basically made every reservation for us and planned out our whole week.
- •Jeni'sI forgot about this one because "let's go get ice cream" is not a thing I usually say, but whatever I was on vacation. That being said, this place rules. The wildberry lavender is so so so good.