The Best Compliments
Sometimes people's compliments are walking the line of being offensive or awkward, so here are some of the best ways I've been complimented that I think we all need to try and use with others more often
- •Ok lets just start off by all agreeing Leslie Knope is THE BEST at compliments and that no one will ever live up to giving compliments like herBut, dang nabbit, we can try!
- •"Your lips are so cute!"Ok - kind of weird, and I'm not entirely sure how to interpret "cute lips," BUT telling people something specific about their body that you like actually is really nice (BUT KEEP IT PG LADIES AND GENTS - GEEZ).
- •"I really like your eyeliner today!"OK. WHEN PEOPLE NOTICE THAT YOU ARE WEARING MAKEUP. AND IT LOOKS GOOD. BECAUSE IT DOES. THIS IS THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD.
- •"You look so 90's! I love it!"When people have a specific compliment on my wardrobe like this I feel like REALLY DARN TOOTIN GOOD. Everyone has a sort of baseline for what they wear and I actually like people noticing my patterns. It lets me know that people pay attention and I'm not just an extra in their movie (weird analogy to pull out of nowhere, Mary???)
- •"I saw these dinosaur shoes and thought of you!"Not a direct quote but basically anything animal (especially goat, cat, and dino) related people like to show me, and I'm not mad about it. BUT SERIOUSLY nothing (and I mean NOTHING) is better than someone seeing something and thinking of you. It lets people know that they mean a lot to you even when they aren't there.
- •"Your laugh is contagious!"This doesn't have to be about a laugh, but tell people how they positively effect you! Compliments that go further than the physical (looks, clothes, etc.) always impact the person more (definitely in a good way).
- •"Your comment about _______ in class/Bible study/fan fiction book club was really insightful!"Ok I don't attend fan fiction book clubs (or at least, none of y'all can prove that I do) BUT reassuring someone that their thoughts are intellectually valid is THE BEST. Again, I can't stress enough how important being specific is because that lets them know you listen to them as well.
- •"You look like a stain glass window of the patron saint of studying"This is just the weirdest and best thing anyone has ever told me. We need more creativity in our compliments like this.
- •SO GO FORTH AND COMPLIMENT, MY YOUNG FAIRY CREATURESSERIOUSLY Spread love around today/tomorrow/every freaking day of your short life!