9 Things To Do in Cape Cod
...and not on most lists
- •Kurt Vonnegut's Saab DealershipStop and look at the building where Kurt Vonnegut had a Saab dealership before he got famous writing On The Road and Cat's Cradle. It doesn't take much to impress me.
- •Edward GoreyEat lunch at Jack's Outback where Edward Gory frequented almost every day, writer of Gashlycrumb Tinies and other fun books. (You have to write up your own order)
- •Crowes PastureVisit a place described to me by a Cape Codder as "the most beautiful place on earth". Not sure about that, but it is nice.
- •The KnobVisit a place described to me by a Cape Codder as "the most beautiful place on earth". Not sure about that but the sunsets are spectacular. In Falmouth.
- •Hatch CottageGo check out the secluded and beautiful Hatch cottage in Wellfleet, built in the Bauhaus style. The National Parks owns it and you can't get inside (unless you book it for an overnight stay). But, just walking around the outside is worth the trip. If you are really into it, watch the documentary Built on Narrow Land.
- •Cape Cod BaseballAttend a Cotuit Kettleers baseball park at Lowell Park. Games are free and start at 5pm (the field has no lights). Yell "Have a Hit" like the locals do.
- •Watch the Herring runStony Brook Grist Mill in Brewster (~April).
- •Relax at a private beachTake a small table, wine, cheese, and chairs to a residents only beach (there are tons of them) and just chill out. You can't park there unless you have a residence/town sticker. But, no one cares if you walk or go after 5 o'clock. They are usually much smaller & more peaceful.
- •Mass Audubon Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary/BeachHard to believe, but another Cape Codder described this as the most beautiful place on earth. He said he had been coming here for 65 years. Anyone can go but to park there you should belong to the Mass Audubon Society. Bone Hill Road, Barnstable.