Movies I Saw This Month: January 2016
January was mostly me catching up on some Oscar noms as well as going back to older critically acclaimed movies.
- •TangerineI get it. This is like nothing I've ever seen before. Amazing in how real it felt, but at the same time there were some parts that felt pretty contrived. Loved the cinematography (and filter!) and scoring a lot.
- •Y Tu Mama TambienI had never seen this one but WOW it was so good! Trying to expand my foreign film knowledge, and I was told this was a good place to start. Cuaron is really a phenomenal director, and all the performances were so believable.
- •CarolWOW This is such a Best Picture snub! Made a list about it: We Need to Talk About Carol
- •Legally BlondeHave to rewatch this one every few months to remind myself how good it is. It holds up.
- •ElectionAlso a rewatch, also holds up. Why anyone doesn't like Reese Witherspoon as an actress is beyond me.
- •One Hour PhotoWas pleasantly surprised by this one! Not AMAZING but enjoyable as a psychological thriller about obsession. Might work even better as a short film?
- •The MartianWatched it twice in one week. Very strong cast, but I still liked Gravity better, and that one managed to be almost an hour shorter with the same effect. Would recommend, but not dying for this to get any Oscars.
- •BrooklynI'm a little baffled how this one got a best picture nomination over some of the other potential choices, namely Carol, Creed, Inside Out, and Straight Outta Compton. It's good but not great. Saorsie Ronan played her role beautifully, but it just feels like something that's been done before.
- •RoomRewatched it, loved it again, Brie Larson is THAT good, believe the hype.