Recurring Situations in Which I Think About Getting Murdered
- •It's 1am, and I'm brushing my teeth preparing for bed. Everyone else in the two story house is asleep. I have to walk from the bathroom in complete darkness back to my bedroom, past a door which has a malfunctioning lock.
- •It's 8am, and I'm still resting in bed. I hear no noise in the house from the rest of my family walking around or closing doors. I initially think rapture, but then I hear the creak of the fourth stair leading to my room.
- •It's 2pm, and I'm in a parking garage after getting brunch with some friends. It's pretty well-lit, but the air is still, and I managed to park the car as far from the stairs as possible.
- •It's 9pm, and I'm returning home from the local takeout Indian place. I don't have a car so I'm walking. I'm on the phone with a family member discussing my day, eyeing all the shadows (mine and others) on the sidewalk.
- •It's 11pm, and I'm having a sleepover at a friend's house. He tells a story about an escaped convict with a hook for a hand, and his wheelchair only lets him sneak into bottom floors, which is where we have our sleeping bags laid out until the fear consumes us and we have to run upstairs.This story still haunts me 10 years later.