Things I Said to Ellie Goulding One Time, or, Why I Should Never Meet My Idols
This is a true story. 💯
- •I was 17 and just graduated high school.
- •Ellie Goulding was promoting her first album, but this was before Lights became a huge single. She put on a concert in a pretty small venue in Minneapolis, and I went with a group of friends.Including the List App's very own @clairegee!
- •After the show, my friends and I waited next to her tour bus to see if we could meet her.
- •About a half hour later, she came out of the venue, went back on her bus, then came back out to say hello and take pictures with fans.
- •Background information: the shirt I was wearing has a dinosaur on it holding a sign that says "Free hugs!"
- •After we got to the front of the line, the first thing I said was, "I'm giving out free hugs... Do you want one?"I shudder as I type this out. 2011 me was the epitome of "your problematic fave."
- •She was gracious and hugged me, then asked where I got my t-shirt.
- •I told her the shirt was from American Eagle, and because I remembered she was from England, I added: "I don't know if they have that by you."Like an asshole. OF COURSE it's in England, it's a massive retailer, ugh MATTAN be better!
- •She very quickly retorted that she was familiar with the brand.I'm still hurting about this.
- •Then she (very happily) took pictures with my friends and me.S/O to @clairegee who came with me and had the photos on her digital camera (a life before smart phones, what a time to be alive).
- •Thanks, Ellie, for tolerating my dumbass and putting on a great show! I still listen to the Lights album often, and I wish you continual success.