Thoughts While Applying for Jobs
From a recent graduate with no clue what he wants out of life.
- •Gotta make some money... Guess it's time for a job!"Why can't my parents bankroll me forever?" is a thought that crosses my mind regularly.
- •How do I even search for jobs?Craigslist is appropriate in this situation, yeah?
- •Let me check the websites for my favorite companies and institutions.There has to be some mutual love for a naive twenty-something trying to make it in the world!
- •Oh, wait... I don't have any of the necessary experience for these positions?Did college fail me entirely? That's for you to decide. But also, yes.
- •OK. Let's try googling "cool jobs" for some ideas.This also includes googling "personality tests" to see what kinds of jobs will fit best (even though they are never jobs I would do).
- •It can't hurt to apply for some retail jobs; I HAVE to be qualified for those.You will find out in a month that you still can't get a retail job, and the stores will not give you any explanation as to why.
- •Finally found a job that looks tolerable and for which I am semi-qualified. I should totally curate my resume for this!I'm not curating my resume for this, who am I kidding?
- •What's worse than editing a resume? Editing a cover letter!If Hell isn't lined with the cover letters written that didn't get people hired, I will truly be shocked.
- •Cut to the two to eight weeks of waiting for any form of response from your potential new places of employment.Every new email received is a mini heart attack.
- •If they even bothered to respond at all (which is unlikely), I'm sure to hear that I was not chosen."Please apply again/to another position/etc." is adding insult to injury.
- •Feeling like a failure... Let's drown my sorrows in literally anything that costs money and can make me feel better!Food, music, movies, clothes... Anything goes when treating yourself!
- •Gotta make some money... Guess it's time for a job!The cycle begins again.