Ways My First Name Has Been Mispronounced
muh-TAHN. Like "baton" with an M. It's Hebrew for "gift" because OF COURSE IT IS look at me!
- •MAH-tenSoft a, like "Matt." This is the most common one.
- •muh-TANAlso pretty common.
- •MAY-tenThese slip in every once in a while from strangers and first-day situations.
- •muh-TONEThis is where it starts to get funky fresh.
- •muh-TAINLike "maintain?" Ugh, try harder.
- •muh-HAHNClosest but also farthest. Usually after I wrote my name in all capital letters and the two Ts blend into an H. Slash the person reading is illiterate.
- •muh-TEENMy middle school gym teacher and high school dean of students (same woman) called me this, even after nominating me for a metro-wide "Student of the Week" award given by a local news channel. Still love ya, AC!
- •MattYou skipped a few letters there!
- •MuttonLike mutton chop. This was an unfortunate nickname for a few months in high school.
- •MittenAre you fucking kidding me?